Brief Profile of the Department
Welcome to the Department of Business Management, Tripura University (A Central University). Business management strikes a balance between theoretical and practical scenario in business. Over the years the business management department has been able to create an enabling environment for learning and development where future managers are fostered organically. Since a management programme is not only about classroom training rather it is a preparation for a career in corporate sector while staying anchored to academics. The pedagogical practice and dynamic course curriculum at the department has evolved over time by the confluence of different modern approaches backed by state –of – the – art technology infrastructure. At the Department of Business management, students not only learn through classroom teaching but also through case based learning, industry-academia interactions through lectures by senior level management executives, summer internship projects, inbound and outbound industrial tours in various corporate organizations and industries emerging in hard core business and corporate professionals. We are committed to train each student on the factors of corporate readiness through the fine blending of theory and practice by our experienced faculty members and industry mentors thus enriching life each day. Our faculties are involved in ‘cutting edge research’. They have been organizing seminars, management and faculty development programmes as well as executing government funded and consultancy projects. The holistic involvement of faculties across so many relevant areas is beneficial for imbibing management knowledge and professional growth of our students.
A three-year Bachelor Course in Business Administration leading to the award of the Degree of Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) was introduced by Tripura University from the Academic Session, 2003-2004. Department of Management (erstwhile School of Management), Tripura University, launched its MBA Programme in 2005-06 with a commitment to prepare wisdom managers and innovative entrepreneurs for the country. Currently, the programme offers dual specialization in Marketing management along with traditional areas of Finance, and Human Resource Management.
Since the last decade, faculties and students of the Department of Business Management of Tripura University are actively involved in conducting and so far witnessed various events, namely, ‘Prayatna-Management conclave’, Prarambh, Purvottaran and now ‘Rubaroo 2k17’ wherein students test their business acumen by managing teams, handling conflicts, and ambiguities. ‘Rubaroo 2k17’ provides a platform for reconnecting alumni with their Alma Mater. Various cultural and management events rekindles the bond between alumni, Alma mater and the institute and refreshes their nostalgic memories. We take pride in stating that our management students have put in their zealous and diligent efforts in academics as well as in organizing events resulting in grand success.
Year of Establishment:
Head of the Department :
Dr. Debarshi Mukherjee
Total Research Project Funding (Completed & Ongoing):
Syllabus for Various Courses Offered::
- Proposed Programme Structure and Course Outline: Download
Seminar / Events / Development Programmes/ Refresher / Orientations organised
- PRAYATNA: Management Conclave 17th March 2012. Management Conclave on “In Search of Sustainable Business…Managerial Challenges” was organized on 17th March, 2012 followed by various sub-themes for panel discussions. The event was inaugurated by the then Vice Chancellor, Prof. Arunoday Saha, Tripura University Guest of Honour was Kirit Pradyot Deb Barman, Head of the Royal family of Tripura. Keynote address was given by Mr. Abhishek Chandra, IAS, the then Director, Social Welfare& Social Education, and Government of Tripura. Panel discussion on “Globalization and Leadership Challenges” and “Ethicality & Governance” involved the participation of eminent senior level management executives by from ILS Hospital, Yes Bank, Bhusan Steel, and Paras.
- MDP: Management Development Programme in Marketing Management and Human Resource Management was organized by Department of Business Management, Tripura University in Collaboration with MSME-Agartala. The Programme was for the young entrepreneur and students who were aspiring to be future manager from the State of Tripura. 20 (twenty) numbers of candidates participated in both Marketing and Human Resource Management. The Duration of each Programme was 5 (five) Days.
- FDP: Faculty development Programme in Business Studies Jointly Organized by the Department of Commerce & Department of Business Management, Tripura University was held during 24th-30th March, 2014 at Tripura University.
- National Seminar on Development Policy for North-East India: Rational, Initiative and Impact was organized by ESSORT in Collaboration with Department of Business Management on 8th march, 2014.
- Seminar On ‘North East India’ since 1947: Society, Polity and Economy With Special Reference to the State of Tripura Date- 22-23rd January, 2017
- Prarambh 2016 :Induction Programme The first Induction Programme for the newly adimitted students of MBA was organized on 27th July, 2016. It was a 10 days progarmme focused on making new the newly admitted students aquintaed about the department,new course sturucture and a culture of the business world .
- Purvattaran 2016 It was organised on 5th September, It was a students activities, the students were given the flatform for showcasing their talents. Activies like Ad making competition, Extempore, Skit was organised .
- Rubaroo 2k17- Alumni Meet: Alumni meet – asset for any Institute. Over 100 alumni of the department first time together at their alma matar at Rubaroo 2k17 held on 5th February 2017. The meet was organized keeping in mind the placement of the existing students. A strong networking and bound was formed among the students and alumni. The relationship will bring a lot of assistance for projects and internship also.
Address of Communication:Department of Management,
Tripura University, Suryamaninagar,
email: bbatu[at]tripurauniv.in, mbatu[at]tripurauniv.in
Research Initiatives of the Faculty Members of the Department:
Research Initiatives of the Faculty Members of the Department:View
|Photo||Name||Title of Thesis & Supervisor||Contact Details|
|Manish Das||Not yet decided
Supervisor: Dr. Debarshi Mukherjee
|Payel Biswas||Not yet decided
Supervisor: Dr.Haradhan Debnath
Not yet decided
Co-Supervisor:Dr. Rajesh Chatterjee
|Anjana Kalai||Not yet decided
Supervisor: Dr. Debarshi Mukherjee
Non Teaching Staffs & Contact Details
|Sima Datta Bhaumik||UDC||
|Sri Sukanta Sarkar||Laboratory Assistant||Ph: 9436547346 (M)|
- On 3/1/2017 a team of MBA final semester students embarked on a outbound journey organized by the department for the first time to visit industries in Delhi NCR. The industry visit started from 6th morning. First the team of thirty one students and three accompanying faculty/staff members reached Anmol Bakers Pvt ltd in their Greater Noida plant. The HR Executive started the visit with a presentation about the genesis and area of operation of the company and later took the team for a complete round of the factory. Afterwards the team went to India Exposition Mart Ltd in Greater Noida which is the one of biggest in India and holds many international trade fairs round the year. On 7th Jan the students visited the studio of ABP News in Noida Sector-60. The students saw live news broadcast and interacted with the Chief Technology Officer who obliged the team by answering the queries of the students. On 9th Jan the team went to Oerlikon Graziano Ltd which is one of the biggest gear box manufacturing companies in the world. We received a dose of safety training before entering the shop floor. The students saw various processes of production which starts with cutting the raw steel using high precision imported machines. We had our lunch in the factory with other workers to feel the factory environment. On 10th Jan the team visited three companies. In the morning the team went to Control Switchgear Electric Ltd which is into manufacturing of electrical transformers. From there the team went to the Buddha International Circuit owned JayPee Group which hosts various motor racing events in NCR. The students walked through the Formula 1 racing track. Later in the afternoon we went to New Holland Tractors, an US Multinational with a workforce of 1700 working in a single plant that boasts of having implemented world class manufacturing systems (WCM). The students began the visit post having lunch at their canteen. The entire process of tractor manufacturing was explained to the team. The team could see robotic arms doing high precision cutting jobs, overhead conveyers ferrying parts which was followed by an interactive session with the Head of HR. 11th January was the last day of the visit and we went to Aflatus Gravure Pvt Ltd which is into manufacturing of finely curved cylinders used for printing packaging materials. Our last visit was at the Network 18 studio at Film city at Noida, Sector-16A. The Head of Learning & Development engaged with the students and shared various business strategies of the TV channels ranging from news composition to revenue mapping. The students were accompanied by Dr. Debarshi Mukherjee Associate Professor DoBM, Nirmalya Debnath Assistant Professor DoBM and Rina Ghosh UDC, Exam Cell.
- Department of Business Management, Tripura University (A Central University) organized one local industry visit for the MBA 1st semester students with financial aid from the university with an objective to acquaint students with various aspects of industrial working. This visit is a compulsory one having certain weight associated which will reflect in exam performance based on presentation and report submission. Students visited two industries from MSME sector: Mutha Industries limited and Pran Beverages India private limited.
Mutha Industries in Tripura produce furniture, wood, tiles and other home interior items from bamboo, a rich natural resource of the state. Students visited the production facility of Mutha, spanning across 5 acres (approx.) of land located in Bamboo Park, Bodhjang Nagar Industrial Estate, Tripura. Some glimpses of the visit are as follows:
- After Mutha, the next destination was Pran Beverages India Private Limited, a foreign arm of Pran Industries Bangladesh. This industry deals with some well known FMCG brands such as Mr. Noodles, Frooto, Pran Lichi Drink, Confectionary, Pran Rusk, Pran Bread and other bakery items. Students are exposed to various production lines and the production process. Some glimpses of the visit are as follows:
After completion of the visit, students submitted their report on various aspects of the visit backed by presentation of the visit.