Brief Profile of the Department
The Department of Library & Information Science was established in the year 2016 on 29.02.2016 with a view to furnish the libraries of the region with vivid and skilled manpower. The department is imparting one year truncated programme leading to degree of Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS) based on the recommendation by the UGC Model Curriculum in Library & Information Science, 2001 from the academic session 2016 onwards.
Emergence of Information Communication Technology has brought immense change to the society in general and library in particular. Hence, the need for skilled library professionals having degree in Library & Information Science with knowledge of ICT is inevitable in any library in the digital environment.
The proposed course is prepared, keeping in mind the current scenario of higher education in the field of Library & Information science in India. The department is aiming to produce trained manpower by offering strong theoretical foundation as well as hands on practical classes, seminars, presentation and study tour along with internship program after the completion of the course.
Year of Establishment:
Head of the Department:
Dr. Rabindra Kumar Mahapatra
Programme & Intake Capacity:
Programme: Bachelor of Library & Information Science (BLIS)
Intake: 20 seats
Syllabus for Various Courses Offered::
- B.Lib. & I.Sc. Course: Download
Seminar/Conference/Workshop/Refresher/Orientations etc. Organized
- Teacher’s Day & Tribute to Sir (Dr) S. Radhakrishan, celebrated on 5th Sept., 2016.
- National Librarian’s Day & Memorial Lecture on Dr. S. R. Ranganathan, the father and the doyen of library and information science in India, celebrated on 12th August, 2016.
Address for CommunicationDepartment of Information and Library Science, TU, Suryamaninagar-799022
E-mail: hod_libinfoscience[at]tripurauniv.in, rkmahapatra[at]tripurauniv.in
- Felicitation and welcome to the Librarian and Deputy Librarian of Central Library Tripura University by the Department of Library and Information Science on 9th January 2017.
- Ms. Joyita Saha, student BLIS, earned third prize in the Rangoli competition held on the eve of Freedom Fortnight “Azadi 70-Yaad Karo Kurbani” 2016 organised by Tripura University.